Detroit Lions Betting Odds | How to Bet on Sports
Detroit Lions Betting Odds: The Average Line
When searching for Detroit Lions Betting Odds, this is how an online sports betting line looks like:
Lions: Betting odds, spread and lines
- Money line: Buccaneers -350 (bet $110 to win $100) | Lions +270 (bet $100 to win $270)
- Against the spread/ATS: Buccaneers -7 (-110) | Lions +7 (-110)
- Over/Under: 46.5 (O: -110 | U: -110)
Learn more about NFL Point Spreads with this guide.
Detroit Lions Biography
The Lions are a professional football team based out of Detroit, Michigan. The team is part of the National Football Conference North division, and they play their games at Ford Field.
Detroit Lions Team Accomplishments
- NFL Championships (pre–1970 AFL–NFL merger) (4): 1935, 1952, 1953, 1957
- Conference championships (4): NFL National: 1952. NFL Western: 1953, 1954, 1957
- Division championships (8): NFL Western: 1935, 1953, 1954, 1957. NFL National: 1952. NFC Central: 1983, 1991, 1993
- Playoff appearances (17): NFL: 1935, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1957, 1970, 1982, 1983, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2011, 2014, 2016
Detroit Lions Brief History
The team began playing professional football back in 1928, when they were known as the Portsmouth Spartans. But in 1934, they moved to Detroit after it was clear that it was tough for an NFL team to survive in Portsmouth, the smallest professional football market at the time. They were re-baptized as the Lions. And the team’s first season was quite successful as they won 10 games in a row. The following year, the Lions managed to make it to its first NFL Championship game, where they played the Giants.
Detroit went on to win this game, beating New York 26-7, earning themselves their first World Championship. This was a glorious time not only for the local football team, but for the local baseball and hockey teams as well as the Tigers captured the 1935 World Series, and the Red Wings were able to win the Stanley Cup the following season. The Lions have won a total of four NFL titles, but their last one was acquired back in 1957. This gives this franchise the second-longest title drought in the NFL, just behind the Cardinals.
Detroit Lions Team Rivalries
This franchise has been part of different divisions, which has led them to have different divisional rivals.
Their oldest rivals, and which are still part of the same division, are the Bears and the Packers, all of which have been part of a division containing these teams since 1933. The Vikings are the newest divisional foes, and have been holding a rivalry with Detroit since their league inception back in 1961.
Other long-time rivals were:
- The Cleveland/LA Rams, whom they frequently faced from 1937 until 1966
- The Bucs, whom they played from 1977 until 2001 on a regular basis
- The 49ers, whom they played from 1950 until 1966
- The Cardinals, whom they played from 1933 until 1949
- The Baltimore Colts, whom they played from 1953 until 1966
The team also features a preseason rivalry with the Browns, whom they’ve been playing for the “Barge Trophy” since 2002. These two franchises also had a solid rivalry during the 50’s, meeting a total of four times for the NFL title, with the Lions winning 3 of these meetings. They’ve been meeting less and less during the regular season since the merger of the AFL and the NFL as the Browns were moved to the AFC.
Learn how to bet on sports, then check for the latest Detroit Lions Betting Odds, and place a bet!